Suggestions? Questions Edit
Does anyone have any suggestions about possible corrections? I am 90% sure this script is not properly formatted, and I want to follow the proper formatting of a script—that is, if there is any one "correct" way of writing a screenplay.
P.S.: If you have a question as to why I format the way I do, please do not hesitate to message me and I will be happy to expound on my writing style as clearly as possible.
Some Clarification Edit
Some of my formatting techniques:
- Descriptions that modify the delivery of a line are in parentheses. Descriptions are not capitalized and are in adjective form. Descriptions are italicized, including the parentheses.
- These descriptions do not take their own line; they are on the same line as the speaker and his or her accompanying dialogue.
- Lil' D: (stammering) Sunny?
Stage Directions/Actions Edit
- Stage directions and actions, on the other hand, are in square brackets and are capitalized. Like descriptions, stage directions and actions are italicized, including the brackets.
- [Exit Kim.]
- [Enter Madison.]
- These are generally given their own line.
- Albert: Because—
- [Albert turns on a fan, blowing off the trench coat man's hat—the man is Sunny Bridges.]
- Sunny: Oh, my hat!
- However, some are embedded into the dialogue, depending on the length of the bracketed text and the readability of the line/s of text.
- Lil' D: Really, I don't. [Sighs] Okay, now what else can go wrong?
- I will admit I am arbitrary on the formatting of bracketed text; I do not use many strict rules, but I prefer that any "Enter X" and "Exit X" be given their own line. I may combine "Enters"/"Exits" with other entries to avoid "doubling up"—that is, to avoid two or more consecutive lines of bracketed text without dialogue in between.
For stage directions and actions, I also like to have entries starting with words such as "Flashback to", "Cutaway", "Cut to", and "Scene: ..." start a new line.
:'''Lil' D''': Something's wrong. :''[Cut to the stage. The confused crowd murmur.]'' :'''Sunny''': I'm sorry; I just can't do it.
Bracketed and parenthetical text always follow the colon after the speaker's name. Also, the colon is always outside the strong text. Examples of proper formatting:
:'''Madison''': ''[Gasps]'' Is it in rock music?
:'''Stage Director''': ''(in Sunny's mind)'' Sunny, you're wanted onstage!